Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Memoir of a Great Friendship

I had a friend all throughout junior high. Her name was Nour, and she had just moved from Egypt to America in the start of the sixth grade. We became friends instantly. We shared and exchanged our Halloween candy. We walked together. We invited each other to our parties. I loved her accent. She spoke Arabic and her brother had been in the eighth grade her first year in the states. To me, she was the epitome of beauty, with her caramel colored skin, chin length wavy hair, her large expressive dor eyes....not only that, but I admired her so much for the way of life she lived, being a Muslim and all. She was amazing, funny, adorable in her foreign little way. She was my best friend of that time period, and I loved her so much. I still do, now that she's moved back to Egypt in January. So in her honor, I have decided to wear the hijab. For her, for her morals, for everything she stood for, beautiful in all ways imaginable. And maybe this summer I'll get the chance to go to Egypt and visit her, and for her to see the tribute of friendship I've made to her. I might even just convert. Not for her, but for me. It's hard to believe that Muslims can be perceived as terrorists, as they're some of the kindest, most hospitable people I've ever met and I'd be glad to be a part of that community.

No comments:

Post a Comment